UCL Closes Health Centre

[box] By Erine Bernbacher[/box]

A campaign has begun to save the University College London Health Centre from closure.

The surgery, located in Gower Place, is responsible for the medical care of thousand of  UCL students.

The lease for the practise is due to run out in 2014, at which point UCL Estates will not be renewing it.   This will inevitably force the health centre off campus, and, according to the Student Union, seriously impact student welfare.

The building was donated in 1972 by the Wolfson Foundation  explicitly intending it to be used as an on-campus surgery and dental practise.

14,500 students are registered at the centre, which equates to 90% of the centre’s patients. The remaining 10%are UCL staff members.  An advantage to having an on-campus heath centre is despite students moving to different parts of  London, they have the option of staying at the same practise, offering continuity of care.

The  centre is particularly important to international students, as the centre provides essential care whilst they settle into  life in London.

An open letter to Provost of UCL, Professor Malcolm Grant was written by three of the Full Time Union Officers contending the loss, claiming the loss will ‘damage the student experience, and have an irreparable effect on student welfare.’

Leave a Comment